Blueberry and Lemon Syrup Cake
Blueberry and lemon syrup cake
Sweet and super moist blueberry and lemon syrup cake.
Filled with blueberries and drizzled with a lemon syrup this cake makes a lovely afternoon tea snack or a light and fresh dessert served with cream or yoghurt.
This is a cake I use to make a lot year ago and kind of just forgot all about but has just made a come back in our house.
The thing about this cake is at 2, 3, or 4 days old you can pour over some warm lemon syrup and you would think that this cake just come out of the oven an hour ago, it will be super moist and fresh.
What makes this cake stand out from the rest is the lemon syrup that gets drizzled over top.
How to make this Blueberry and lemon syrup cake
Start by creaming the butter and sugar then bet in the eggs and vanilla.
Next stir in the milk, lemon juice and lemon zest.
Sift in the flour and baking powder.
Add the blueberries on top of your flour so as you fold in the blueberries they get coated in flour.
Some people swear by tossing their blueberries in flour it will stop them sinking to the bottom of your cake, I always add them in on top of my dry ingredients then fold it all together. The blueberries are always distributed nicely though out the cake.
Pour into your banking pan and bake for around 35 – 40 minutes at 180.c fan bake.
While your cake is baking make the lemon syrup.
This sweet and tangy lemon syrup is quick to make. I make mine in the microwave, but it can also be made in a saucepan.
Add all the lemon syrup ingredients to a microwave safe bowl and cook on high for 1 minute then bring out and stir until all the sugar has dissolved. Cook for another 2 minutes in the microwave but in 1-minute intervals stir between each minute.
If making in a saucepan add all the ingredients to you pot, bring to the boil string to dissolve sugar, then let simmer for 2 minutes.
NEED MORE SWEET AS CREATIONS? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow me on Pinterest for the latest updates.
Blueberry and Lemon Syrup Cake
- 150 g butter
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice 1 large lemon
- 1 teaspoons lemon zest
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 cup blueberries frozen or fresh.
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1/8 cup water
- Preheat oven to 180 °c fan bake
- Cream butter and sugar together
- Add eggs one at a time whisking in between each one.
- Add vanilla and whisk until all incorporated
- Stir in milk and lemon juice.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder.
- Add the blueberries and fold all together until there is no white flour showing DO NOT OVER MIX
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden on top and cake spring back.
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes before removing from its pan.
- Add sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest and water to a microwave safe bowl and cook on high for 1-minute stir to make sure the sugar has dissolved
- Cook for another 2 minutes stirring after each minute.
- If making on a stove top add all the ingredients to you pot, bring to the boil string to dissolve sugar, then let simmer for 2 minutes.
- Drizzle over ¾ of the lemon syrup leaving the other ¼ to drizzle over just as you are serving the cake.